our Coalie.

We said goodbye to our family dog today. My parents dog actually, now that we're all grown up and 3/4 of us have moved out. They bought her for us kids when I was 10. I remember the day we brought her home and one of us thought we should name her "Coalie" because she "looked like a lump of coal." I get a kick out of that now.

I guess Coalie's best known for her ball chasing skills. She was pretty serious about that game. Also known for her harsh greetings toward everyone who ever walked in the front door. She was half poodle, half schnauzer...anyone ever heard a schnauzer bark??? I can't say I'm going to miss it (the barking), but she always warmed up and made friends.

I won't go into detail on all her infirmities (when dogs get sick it's somewhat gross) but she's been suffering for many months now and it's only become worse over the last weeks even more since yesterday. My parents of course would rather see her go peacefully than watch her suffer any more. We'll miss the Woofy-Dog. She was a good old pal and I'm sad to see her go. The end.

Comments

Mindy said…
Awww I'm going to miss sitting on the couch and hearing her scratching around behind it. My favorite memory of her was when she stayed at my house during your family reunion and got chased by our rabbit...she was a humbled dog after that.;-)
Anonymous said…
It breaks my heart! She was an amazing shortstop and she sure loved your dad.

Aunt Mare
Judy said…
Sad. :( Bye bye Coalie. Geez, I hate it when pets die. I really do.

Coalie didn't really like me anyway. I'll miss her just the same.
Callie said…
She looks so cute in that picture!
Kate Van said…
Oh my, we were just talking about Coalie while Cal was here. She was so cute. I used to be a tiny bit afraid of her- but I was afraid of every dog when I was little!!! Miss you!

Popular Posts