the needy sicko.

Last Friday I thought I'd come down with a cold. And then it got worse and worse and I was feeling extremely weak and fevered. It got to the point on Monday where I could do nothing. I couldn't hold my baby or feed her. Dru said all I needed to do was pump every three hours and he would feed her a bottle and do everything else, but sitting up in bed to pump for all of five minutes was a huge challenge physically. When my fever was 103.5 for 18 hours Dru said, "Your going to the doctor, now." Come to find out I have pneumonia. They did chest x-rays and the doctor said it's a bad case and I could be weak and sick feeling for 6 weeks. I cried in the exam room. I felt so defeated, and helpless...not to mention sick. They were telling me I should consider not breastfeeding because of the strong antibiotics they were giving me (they immediately gave me a shot of antibiotics in the office and then my prescription).

It's easier to feel needed than needy. I'm finding I like to be in control of my life and I crave the ability to handle all things, and all things well. Jennifer did a great post about this. One thing she wrote about was how hard it can be for us to ask for help because we're not humble and she went much more into why we should be willing to say we need a hand, and how we should make ourselves available to helping others in their time of need. For me it can also be difficult to want help because I want things done a certain way so I figure I'll just do it myself. I want my towels folded a particular way, my floors cleaned in a certain way, my baby burped like this, not like that, etc. I can be too picky and not be grateful enough for the help I receive. My mom and sisters have already spent alot of time over here serving us since I've been sick. And I wouldn't have survived without them! I'm learning how to receive help. It is easier asking my family, but still hard. And I'm learning to be specific about what I need but to try to let things go that are not significant. I'm trying to be very grateful for everything they do. I know you guys are reading this, and I do really appreciate all the time you've spent here already and all the things you've done. My sister Megan rushed over for me on Monday when the sick feeling hit me like a ton of bricks. My mom has done Violet's late night, middle of the night, and early morning feelings for the last 2 nights so Dru and I both could rest. Callie has been here to help too and yesterday after hearing me mention to Dru that V needed some onesies she went to the store and bought them for Violet as a gift. I'm really blessed to have their willing help.

Please pray for us if you think of it. Pray that I would recover quickly and mostly that our baby would be protected from infection. Her pediatrician has said that it is actually safe to breastfeed her on the antibiotics. Of course, it's not optimal, but she said other antibiotics are worse and to take acidophilus (a probiotic) which will promote the good bacteria (I think?).

This morning I'm beginning to already feel better. My fever broke last night and I'm feeling stronger. Dru's parents are coming in tomorrow to visit for a week. They really just want to see Violet, I'm sure :). And they'll be getting alot more of her now! But I'm really hoping to regain strength so I can enjoy this visit and we can get out and do some fun things together.

Comments

Jenn said…
"My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness."
May God's all sufficient grace sustain you and fill you in this season. Thank you for sharing about your life, so thankful you are getting better.
Mindy said…
Praying for you Erin! Ty and I wish we could be there to help. We love you!
Bethany said…
Oh I am praying for you too. Do you have access to a lactation consultant? They are worth their weight in gold. She could probably give you lots of advice to help keep breast feeding. You can probably pump and dump too until you are on less meds if that concerns you. That way your milk production stays up. Hope you are feeling better soon. I know that is so hard with a new baby. I was on antibiotics with Seth I had a severe breast infection....was also on pain meds and I BF him until he was 10 months old and he is just fine. He did get a diaper rash that wouldn't go away and come to find out it was a yeast infection on his bumm but the pediatrician gave me stuff that cleared that up quick. So something to watch for if you do continue BF on antibiotics.

You and baby V will be in my prayers. Get better soon. It is a good place to need help both from God and others.
Anonymous said…
I'm so sorry you are sick, pneumonia is no fun in the best of circumstances, much less with a darlin' little wee-one to care for. But it's a lesson worth learning that the towels and the floors and the things don't have near the significance as the love, the care and the nurturing, both given and received. REST UP and don't try to do to much too soon or it will hang on longer.

xxoo

Aunt Mare
Lory said…
Oh, Erin! I'LL be praying for you!!
erin said…
Thanks everyone for the prayers! Bethany, yes, those lactation consultants are angels in disguise, huh? Thanks for the tips. I've been this is my second round of antibiotics since the baby, first I had mastitis...yuck! And of course, the antibiotics gave me thrush (yeast infection). I'm hoping that adding the acidophilus we'll avoid any and all yeast infections this time! I'm always a little against antibiotics b/c they do alot of harm too...but sometimes they really are best (there's no messing around with pneumonia!

Aunt Mare, I love how you said that some things are not as important as the love, care and nurturing we give and receive. I take that to heart.
Anonymous said…
Love you, Erin and Dru and little Violet! Praying for you all and grateful that you can cast all your cares on the Lord because He cares for you so well!

Popular Posts