my kinder grad and something else i want you to hear.


Violet completed kindergarten yesterday (our first official year of homeschooling) so we closed the books and went out to celebrate with shaved ice. I'm grateful I could home school her this year. She's an introvert and is energized by time at home with mom. And I truly enjoyed that, when our work was complete, we had so much free time for play and adventure.  It is hard work at times. But, in comparison, I also had our foster daughter in public school this year and that was a lot of work in its' own way. It's definitely not like parents who send their kids to school get off easy. It adds quite a bit of stress, actually. So, as I compare our public school experience and home school experience this year, home schooling actually felt more peaceful for me.

I think Violet really experienced fun in her learning this year. That is my forever goal for my kids' education. Our home school mentor says something like, learning should be hard work but it should never be painful. My goal is that my kids don't even know they're learning anything. I just want them to have insatiable appetites for understanding and experiencing the world and I have so much fun seeing this in my kids. It was cool to see V learn so much this year and to get to be part of helping her feel successful and excited with all that we experienced. 

I just want to add, that there was a time I most certainly did NOT want to home school my kids or think it was right for us. But I really didn't know much about it. Even though I myself was home schooled, I hadn't taken time to develop a philosophy of education or ask questions about why people might home school. I had made a great deal of assumptions. It certainly isn't right for every parent or every child. I have just enjoyed educating myself on the subject of early education over the last several years and it has been a fascinating journey. I am grateful for the information I've received. I hear people broadly categorize people who home school as people who are proud, or who like to have it all together without asking questions or getting to know how and why I decided to home school. Pleeeeeese. I'm a normal human just like you. I have really hard days with my kids. I didn't decide to home school because I think I'm better than someone else, and I certainly didn't do it (as some assume) with a lack of concern for my kids. Just the opposite. I dug deep gathering lots of info and sorted through if this could be beneficial for Violet. When I did look into it, and specifically into the different styles, some things really clicked for me. SO, I am big on adults being willing to make sacrifices for children, big on having fun and loving our kids (because those are the things I see in the kind of father God is). How we educate our kids is totally, totally a minor issue so long as we are doing it with love toward our kiddos! So, I post on home schooling simply cause this is my blog it's what's currently goin' on up in dis club. Please, love on your kids, receiving love from the Father who cares for you, and I have NO bone to pick with you!

PS- here's the first book I read that began shaping my philosophy of education. Great read if you have kids period. http://www.crossway.org/books/for-the-childrens-sake-tpb/

Peace out. It's summer. I'll be at the pool.

Comments

Popular Posts