juicy.

pineapple, apple, celery, ginger juice
I'm not sure how we got ourselves into this, but after thinking about it for months Dru and I have started (yesterday) on a raw juice fast. Oh, yes. Again, what have we got ourselves into? My friend Cate was telling me that she was starting one and it was just the kick in the pants that Dru and I needed. It's nice to know we have friends going at it with us. We are going to do it for 3 days. If we make it, I may go longer. We'll see.

I've had a Breville juicer for a few years and we love making juice with it...but, sadly, I haven't used it in quite some time. The Breville and I will be making up for lost time these next few days.

Some of my reasons for doing this now (I want to put this down for me...cause I'm already asking myself, "WHYYYYY am I doing this, again?"):

-because I've been sick and I'm ready to knock out this lingering cough and other symptoms and speed up my recovery
-because I'm taking a break from working out (again, trying to get better from being sick), and it's easier to live on juice when you're not working out!
-jump start to healthier eating before the holidays- juicing will help me incorporate raw veggies and fruit into my diet post-fast, and will kick cravings for unhealthy carbs
-prayer and fasting with our church- our church is taking special time this week to pray together for upcoming events in our church. Somehow, feeling physically weak from fasting helps me to feel my desperation for the Lord. I already feel more quiet and still in my soul without the distraction of food. It surprises me how distracting food really is to me. I had no idea. I think about it too much.

Thankfully, I LOVE the taste of fresh juices. So, at least we are enjoying what we are drinking.  Here's the 3 recipes I've tried so far.

Green juice:
kale/celery/cucumber/pear/lemon/ginger

Favorite morning juice:
carrots/oranges

And this one that I don't have a name for:
pineapple/apple/celery/ginger

They've all been so refreshing.  Cate told me about a butternut squash/apple/cinnamon one that we are going to try tonight. And I'd love to try a spicy tomato/jalapeno juice.

Anyone out there juicers? Got any recipes I need to try?

Comments

Popular Posts