don't tell the kids.


 
Avocados were one of my babies' first foods.  Then, around the time they each began to talk, they'd have none of it. Still, they refuse. Until I found this recipe, that is. I'm not even kidding when I tell you that my kids call this recipe their "smoothie ice cream". Looks like a smoothie, tastes like a smoothie, but it has a yogurt-like consistency, which, for the kids, at least, as earned it the title of "ice cream". (It doesn't taste like ice cream to me, but it is good.)  Recipe follows...
I made this last night for -- you guessed it -- "dessert".  Hey, I'm riding that wave as long as it will take me.

From The Kid-Friendly ADHD & Autism Cookbook
Aidan's Avocado Fruit Surprise
1 ripe avocado
1 C frozen blueberries
1 C frozen raspberries
1 t lemon juice
(I like to add a banana and/or pear. Makes it even sweeter.)
Peel and pit the avocado and place it in a blender or food processor with remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth.

Here it is in my Ninja. It's no VitaMix.  But it is bigger and more powerful than your standard blender and it's in the $100 range. If you make whole-food smoothies and are burning out the Oster, then I highly recommend this upgrade....(upgrade you, upgrade you, lemme lemme lemme lemme upgrade you....a little Beyonce, anyone?)


There we have it. They're eating avocados again. Happy kids, happy mom.  One other thing, I'm loving the aforementioned cookbook, by the way. We don't have autism or ADHD in the family, but this book is full of some great recipes that are gluten-free and casein-free. My kiddos have tummy troubles with both and the little girl we are fostering has multiple symptoms that can stem from gluten and casein. So, this book has helped me to be freshly motivated in cooking right for my family. If your kids have gluten/casein sensitivities or are diagnosed ADHD or Autism spectrum I highly recommend this book. Not only for the recipes but also because it is an insightful read. It's written by two doctors who have done their homework. I have not read the whole thing, but have learned a great deal from what I have read. Very interesting stuff.


Comments

oh yumm! totally making this soon! good to know about the cookbook...always looking for more info/ideas!
erin said…
Woot! Thanks. :)
Callie said…
mmm, I have some super ripe avocados right now. I'm feeling mid-morning snack coming on...
yes, you are on your way to pinterest fame.
loved this. added mango and 1/2 a banana..
now, did you add any liquid? even my trusty old vita-mix struggled a bit until I added 1/2 c of water or so...maybe you're ninja is better than you think!
erin said…
Well, the Pintrest fame will be short lived if the recipe doesn't even work! Okay, weird! I haven't needed to add water but also haven't actually measured out the ingredients as the recipe says, either. I just dump everything in there so I may be adding more berries or lemon juice. Also, I've never made it without adding a whole banana. I've just always thrown one in there, so maybe that makes a difference over just a half? I do have to stop the blender and scrape down the sides, but it does eventually become pudding-like.
Che said…
Kathy Locke made a chocolate version of this that I was dyin' over.
You probably have a recipe already, but if you don't, you should totally hit that.
erin said…
Chelsea, who is this Kathy Locke? Someone I should know? I totally do need to hit that.
amber said…
YUM! I need a mixer, tho . . . :) Thanks for the recommendation!
Bethany said…
This looks fab. I am going to have to try it with my big kids....although all my kids will eat guac. Wonder if I could hide their cod liver oil in it....that is what I am on the search for now. HA HA

Popular Posts