summer reading with kids.

Violet and I have been reading the Little House series through the school year and just finished up book 4 today (On the Banks of Plum Creek).  My, how we love those books!

Here's V back in the fall with the second book...wearing her prairie bonnet that my mom made her, of course...



After we finished the last chapter of Plum Creek, I asked Violet if she wanted to start the next Little House book, or take a little break and try a new series for the summer time.  At first, she didn't like the idea of starting something new.  But, having an inkling that she may really enjoy the new series I had in mind, I convinced her to try just one chapter with me of Betsy-Tacy (which her Auntie Mindy gave her for her birthday) and to see what we think of it.  She obliged.



One chapter down and Violet is HOOKED!!  I'm pretty smitten myself.  I could see Violet smiling, thinking as I read the first chapter.  And, when I finished and asked her what she thought, she said, "WANT. IT."  Haha.  Such a cute story, written in 1940, of two friends living on the same street (I think they make a third friend in a later book, too).

I guess we've got our summer reading all squared away. :)

Also, I wanted to share what looks to be an AWESOME kids' booklist.  It's from a blog I regularly read and I will be saving this booklist forever.  The Little House AND Besty-Tacy series' are both on it. :)

Booklist here.

Comments

Popular Posts