working it out.

Got some new "trainers" with hot pink laces.  What's not to love, right?!  Man, new tennies (especially with hot pink laces!) can make a girl feel so fine it's positively sinful.

I've been working out for almost 5 months now.  I go to the good ol' ymca 4-6 times/week for a variety of different workouts.  It's something I've longed to have consistently in my routine for years, yes, YEARS.  I truly haven't worked out in a consistent way since before I got married...over 8 years, people.  I will be honest, at first it took a lot of work to go regularly.  I think I had the gym membership almost a year before I made it up there more than twice a week.  Lame but true.  But as Augie has gotten older things have settled down a bit and we are in a good routine now.

Been thinking about working out for some time now but can't get past the obstacles in your life that keep you from being consistent?  I have to encourage you to FIGHT.  IT IS SO WORTH IT.  It truly is not a fight for me anymore...it's become more of an addiction :).  I'm actually mad if I have to miss a day at the gym.  Ha.  It's just that it feels so good and gives me so much energy and a positive outlook for my day that it's like I just can't go without.  I think it's funny how most of us will start working out because we have some physical goals.  But, once you start, the feeling of working out benefits you so much that your only goal is to not miss the experience itself.

I encourage you to figure out what works/doesn't work for you.  My hurdle # 1: I hate treadmills and I hate working out alone.  Once I started going to the group fitness classes I really found my niche.  I just thrive on the group experience and the loud music.  So fun!  I'd say I work out about 3 times harder with the group than I had ever pushed myself, and I definitely have more than 3x the fun (har, har)...and it's so satisfying to walk out of there after a good, hard, pushed-your-self-but-totally-made-it-through kind of workout.  And, I'm making friends and enjoying seeing the same girls daily.

My hurdle # 2: the kids.  What to do, oh, what to do with my kids.  I don't have time to work out before they wake up...they wake early as it is and I cook breakfasts everyday (which takes more time in the morning) and I need to try and get time in the Word in the morning before they wake.  If it was going to happen it really needed to be later in the morning...meaning the kiddos are coming with me.  So, we really looked around when we bought our membership because I wanted to feel very comfortable with where my kids were.  The childcare room at our Y is in a central part of the building with huge glass windows so anyone can see the kiddos anytime.  I liked that.  At first, though, both of my kids cried every time I brought them.  That was a hurdle I almost didn't make it over.  I almost decided to give up and cancel the membership.  More than the crying, though, the whining!!!  Oh my, Violet whining and dragging her feet all morning about having to go...it killed me.  But, as soon as I nearly threw in the towel (probably 2 or 3 weeks into this routine) everything suddenly changed.  My kids were making friends that they were excited to play with, and the childcare workers now knew their names and expressed excitement to see them.  Now my kids just run in there and when I'm done I feel like I am more excited about being with my kids again and I have more energy and more fun with them than before.  It's really been a fun routine for all three of us.  Of course, with fostering, this is all something I need to hold loosely...if it isn't working for a little one we have, it's gonna have to be okay because that is where my priority is right now.

What are my other hurdles???  Hmmm, can't remember them anymore....the benefits are far outweighing the sacrifices at the moment!  I say, get out there and go for it....and once it's a habit you are't gonna break, reward yourself with some brand-spankin'-new, hot pink tennies.

Comments

Sam said…
love the new kicks...who can resist working out when you have a pair of those:)

BTW - It was great finally meeting you! Wish we all had more time together!
Kate Thomas. said…
thanks erin! have i have been running for the past 4-5 months, my hurdle is, its sooo freeking hot out! I have majorly slacked the last 2 weeks. Thanks for the encouragement! Oh, and I have dark grey with hot pink laced Nikes too :)
erin said…
Dang, girl, good for you! Running is hard! I thought I saw something on fb about a run. We'll have to talk workouts more. Good for you!!
erin said…
Sam- it was so awesome to finally meet you and yours, too! And I agree, wish we could have had more extended alone time. Hope you all are doing well. Can't wait to hear more about your summer travels on the blog. :)
Bethany said…
Good for you!!! I always liked the break from the kids the workout gave me. It was actually refreshing. I had a hard time with the Y childcare at a certain point because every time I got in a groove one of my kids would get sick and I would have to skip. The best for me has been waking up at 5 and working out before they wake up....course that doesn't happen while pregnant or nursing so family hikes are what takes place during those times...and good old exercise videos with a kid on the back for extra weight if you know what I mean
Chalene Baird said…
Those are great ideas Erin & Bethany!! I would sign up in a heart beat for a gym membership and try taking my boys. Maybe one of these days I'll give it a shot. For now, I'll have to stick with my home fitness videos while my boys take their afternoon naps. Thanks for the encouragement!
Mindy said…
Glad you are loving it! I have always hated working out but after L is born I really want to try to find a class--I think even just a night or two a week would be a fun break for me! Bug me about it later! :)
Jessica Rockey said…
Hmmm.... I appreciate your thorough advice:) I'm still in the mental hurdle phase... not sleeping through the night phase... way too fat to go to the gym phase:) I'll come back to this post when I feel a breakthrough coming on. I don't mind the treadmill... it's just having to get off every two minutes because Doodle is putting her head in the toilet or some other nonsense.
I'm slightly inspired... Thanks:)

Popular Posts