favorite snowy children's books.

It's been a crazy week in Texas. Tuesday morning we woke to a a sheet of ice packed over everything in the city. You could have ice skated down the street. Can you say "lockdown"? Even our two closest Starbucks were closed. Crazy. Schools here have been closed Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and, yep, even today. Needless to say we haven't been out much.

So it was ice, ice, ice for three days (by the way, has Dallas ever heard of salt??) but today it's all SNOW! Ah, snow! SO much fun. So pretty, so calming. The stuff is magical, I tell you. I'd guess we have about 6 inches and it's been gracefully falling all morning into the afternoon.

Last night the weather report called for "nearly an inch", but even when we woke there were already at least 3. This has me thinking of one of our favorite children's books.




This little boy is full of hope after seeing just one flake fall. The rest of the world is pessimistic, but in the end...well, the boy gets his wish! There are just a few words per page, but they are melodic and as magical as snow itself. The illustrations are fabulous, too.


Honestly, I don't think the cover does this book justice. It gets some great reviews on Amazon. "You don't have to take my word for it." And, if you can get it with the cd (our library has it)--oh my! Do it. Listen to the audio version while flipping through this book with a three-year-old in your lap and the snow falling just out the window. Oh, you will be happy you did.

Of course, another better known snow book, and a family favorite as well is A Snowy Day. Ezra Jack Keats, I love you!!!


Just realized these are both Caldecott Medal books. If you are new to the children's book scene I recommend looking for the Caldecott Medal. I'm rarely (sometimes, but rarely) disappointed in them and we have fallen in love with a great many children's books authors this way.

Ah, I love children's books.

Comments

Jen said…
You're such a fun writer. Thanks for the glimpse into your life and making reading "look" like so much fun. ;)
amber said…
You should check out "A Tree is Nice" by Janice May Udry, illustrated by Marc Simont. I looove the 1950s illustrations and the simple text about the greatness of trees. It's a Caldecott Medal winner as well. One of my favorites! :)

Popular Posts