favorite breakfasts.

Most mornings around here we eat eggs.  I've heard that it's really good for your metabolism and endocrine system to start the day with protein, so eggs it is.  I used to be more fancy about it and make veggie omelets and stuff.  But as life gets busier food gets simpler so we often have egg and fruit breakfasts. 

Sometimes you need a change though.  Usually on Saturdays I like to make pancakes and bacon to liven up the eggers.  It's hard to come by delicious--or even decent--gluten free pancakes, though.  I'd honestly rather do without a great many baked goods that eat gluten free versions.  I'd rather just find something naturally gluten free and delicious on it's own.  However, I've found a gluten free pancake mix that we all just LOVE.  These may be my favorite pancakes ever.  I promise you won't be disappointed.  Slap some real butter on there and real maple syrup and, ohhhh, your Saturday is looking better already!


I also make oatmeal about once a week and I have fallen in love with RICE COOKER OATMEAL.  How awesome is it that you can just throw everything in the cooker and in a few minutes it's ready?  The texture is different, too.  More porridge-like.  I throw bananas, cinnamon and vanilla in there it it tastes like banana bread. This is an awesome winter breakfast.  Try it, will ya?

Rice Cooker Oatmeal (serves 4-6)

2 cups oats
4 cups water
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 sliced banana

Throw all ingredients in the rice cooker and start.  After about 5-10 min remove lid and stir.  Cover again and let continue cooking til your cooker says it's done.

Serve with agave nectar and milk.  YUM.


Comments

Sam said…
YUMO! Can't wait to try that recipe! Now that Mr. L is gluten and casein free I am always looking for new recipes to satisfy his little belly:) Thanks for sharing!
Sam said…
oh...almost forgot - what type of oats do you use?
erin said…
Hey Sam,
I actually just use regular old fashioned Quaker oats, which, as you probably know, are possibly cross contaminated with wheat (I've heard all US oats are unless specified). We don't have to be super strict about gluten so I am ok with regular oats. I'm pretty sure Bobs Red Mill does gf oats, though. Best of luck! Do you think the diet changes are helping Landon?
Jen said…
Hey, I was waiting for the pic and post of Dru's highly anticipated Valentines dessert. Please share! :)
erin said…
Haha, I thought of that after I posted this. It was a hit! I'll post about it soon.
Grace said…
How crazy, we've been eating Pamela's pancakes and fruit smoothies straight from my in-laws farm since they've been here ;) best pancakes ever!!!!
Sam said…
Thanks Erin! I use Bobs Red Mill products and love them! The diet has truly helped Landon in numerous ways. He is breaking through so many challenges and I know the diet has impacted his GI issues in countless ways. I've been researching so much these days and I wish more people were aware about the impact gluten and casein can have on children with challenges such as ADHD, apraxia, autism, etc. These ingredients were toxic for Landon and now we are literally recovering his whole GI system.
erin said…
Wow! That is awesome. Wonderful!
Mindy said…
Pamela's pancakes are the best! I can even get Dustin, who is not a fan of gluten freeness to eat them! And I bookmarked the oatmeal recipe!
Rebekah said…
Erin, where do you get the Pancake mix?
erin said…
Hey Rebekah, I don't know what stores you have there...usually at a health food type grocery store. It's pretty easy to find here as a couple grocery stores carry it...Sprouts and Market Street here. Hope that helps. :/

Popular Posts