baked alaska.

Dru scored big time with an awesome dinner on Valentine's night.  He grilled up steak that came out perfectly, and I roasted red potatoes and steamed green beans.  We shared red wine and really had a fabulous dinner.  I love when things just work out like that.  We hadn't planned ahead, but it all came together and was delicious.  One of those times where we were mmmm-ing and moaning in delight through the whole meal.


Best of all, though, were these amazing Baked Alaska cakes that Dru made.   (Very much not gluten free, by the way). OH.  MY.  Now, he altered the final step of the recipe.  Probably the step that gives these the right to be called "Baked Alaskas" and not just "Ice Cream Cakes with Whipped Cream".  Because that's what he did rather than doing the final meringue layer was throw some whipped cream on there.  Still, though.  Is he amazing, or what?  These were absolutely devilish.  I'm not just saying that.

The actual cake of these cakes is what did it for me.  And, with the chocolate ice cream melting into the spongy layers.... Amazing.  I'd definitely use even just the cake recipe again for a regular chocolate cake.  It was so yummy.  And, I certainly hope to get the hubs to make me a  Baked Alaska again very, very soon.   Here are some cell phone pictures I took (unfortunately, my camera battery was dead at the time.)


Comments

Mindy said…
Is that the Martha recipe? I thought it looked really good! We'll have to try it sometime soon!
erin said…
Yep! It's the aforementioned Martha recipe. Did you see the picture in the magazine? Wasn't it fantastical??
Mindy said…
Yeah, I was drooling after it. I'll have to try it with whipped cream, cause the only thing that had been stopping me was that I don't like meringue.

Popular Posts