ughhhh! the flu.

Okay, raise your hand if your haven't been bit by the flu bug this year! If your hand is raised, consider yourself lucky. Seems like everyone I know has had the flu in their house recently. I thought we got off easy this year...til yesterday morning, that is. The alarm went off, I woke up and threw up. And did so about every 20 minutes until 1pm. Yuck is right! I am just so thankful the kids aren't showing any symptoms and that Dru is well, too.

The thing about being sick, though, is that even though it's awful and I wish it away every second, it changes my perspective on a few things and, in the end, I'm so grateful for the change of mind.

For one, it makes me so grateful for my hubby! He is totally the guy who holds my hair back when I puke and runs for water, meds, pillow, blanket, Gatorade, and all my endless needs! He's crazy-amazing! He puts me to shame! I sure don't wait on him like that when he's sick. Sad but true.

It also makes me realize how reviving rest is to the soul. It's so good to have to rest. Too often when I have the choice to rest or work, I work. Work is good, too, but it has to have it's place. Since the work is never complete I always feel pressed to continue working--and I totally over do it and stress myself out. I can't tell you how good for me it has been to have to stay on the couch! So weird! My whole perspective is so different from the couch than from the kitchen sink! Both figuratively and literally. It's good...every once in awhile.

Being sick also makes me so grateful for health. You just appreciate it when you don't have it.

Sadly, this time, being sick kept us from some very fun weekend plans. You know how I said the alarm went off and I immediately puked? Well, the alarm was set because Dru and I had plans to jump in the car early Friday morning and head down to Austin for a weekend of FUN!!!! We had already brought the kids to my mom's house the night before (which ended up being a blessing anyway since I was so sick), had plans to meet with our adoption agency, meet with another couple adopting from Haiti, hang out with my friend Jami, go to an Aaron Ivey music show, eat at some awesome restaurants and just live my dream of being flip-flop wearing, not-a-care-in-the-world people down in ragamuffin Austin! We also had set aside this weekend just to talk and pray together about the upcoming year and set some goals.

Of course, I was so, so disappointed that this didn't work out. But I am feeling God's care-full plan, His love, and his sovereignty over missing out on the weekend we had planned for ourselves. I am grateful for the time of stillness at home and entrusting the future to Him--the one who had all of this planned out long ago and has my good all wrapped up in it.

Comments

Popular Posts