for the children's sake.

Over the last couple years, Dru and I have been casually constructing our educational philosophy. Him being public schooled and me being home schooled we have different backgrounds and, at one time, very different opinions on schooling (I did not want to home school and he did, which may be surprising). We both had parents who cared and actively participated in our education and we both are very thankful for the education we received, which really was based in having families who loved us and were involved! I think when God brings a couple together and gives them children He calls us to consider our history, what was good about it and what could be done differently, and to use our past combined with gaining additional knowledge, to help us form decisions for our kids' futures. I hope our kids will do the same. God knows Dru and I have made mistakes, and the biggest mistakes are surely still to come! I pray my kids will see our hearts and that we really gave thought to our parenting, that we feared God in our parenting, and that they will take the good, alter what was not helpful and grow to be the best parents they can be for their kids!

That being said, we don't know exactly what God has for us reguarding education. We have some ideas about what we would like to do, but we may change our minds on how we will practically work out our philosophy. We do feel, however, that it is our responsibility to take time to consider it; not to necessairly educate our kids for the purpose of ease or tradition, nor to have a one size fits all mentality but to understand that every child is unique and may learn differently. We believe we should consider our own learning styles, our children's learning styles, and educate ourselves on how children develop, and with all that information put our children in the most healthy position we can that will provide them with the ability to love learning.

Our eyes have really been opened, however, and our opinions are merging as we have attended a couple seminars by a woman named Carole Joy Seid. If you have children, or are a grandparent, or teacher, regardless of your educational style and if you live in the Dallas area, Dru and I would HIGHLY recommend (and LOVE to have) you join us to hear her speak on March 12!! And, if you are in this category, I would definitely go to her website, listen to her radio interview, and see if she is holding a seminar near you. She has really opened our eyes to understand how children develop and just understand simple parenting teqniques that can open our kids' hearts to a true love for learning. The couple days I have spent with this woman have been so exciting and encouraging to me as a mom.

A book that I read this year and have LOVED that comes highly recommended by Carole is For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay (Francis Schaeffer's daughter).



Again, this book has really opened my mind to parenting in a style that invites your children into a wide-eyed love for learning. No matter what formal style of education we pursue for our kids, this book has been so foundational to me as a Christian parent who desires that my children love learning and have every opportunity at the best education possible.

Just wanted to share what has helped me and what I am enjoying currently. It's okay of you aren't fond of this style, but this book and hearing Carole has encouraged me so much I can't not pass along something that has blessed me in such a great way! Hopefully, it will be helpful to someone out there.

Comments

amber said…
I was surprised how quickly I read through this book--it was so inspiring!
Lauren Sok said…
Erin,
I know this comment is late, but I just picked up this book last week and the title sounded familar and then I remembered that you blogged about it. I love this book so far and has really opened my eyes to education and my children. I too feel encouraged by her words. I would look forward to hearing your thoughts on this book and hope we can discuss it.
erin said…
So glad you are enjoying it! (I'm online and was just reading your park day post. ;)) It has encouraged me so much! Stick it out to the end of the book. I really think it just gets better and better.

Popular Posts