what do you do?

What do you do when you are in a public place and see an adult abusing a child? Today Dru and I saw a young dad treating his very young little boy in a horrible way. Saying awful things no person should ever have to hear spoken to them. Being physically abusive. We didn't know what, if anything, we could do. I actually saw a similar situation when I was out shopping just a few months ago. I never know what to do. I want to reach out. To speak up. Not to condemn, but hopefully to encourage the parent that life is valuable and to offer hope.

After I see something like this I just can't shake it. I started crying as soon as Dru and I walked away from the situation. I keep thinking if this is how this parent acts in public, what kind of hell is the private life of this child? I've prayed for this little family several times today. I want to believe God will intervene in their lives, but I don't know. I often wish I would say something, but I just don't know. I've been thinking about it all day and it's so depressing. I'm wondering what that boy is doing right now. Wonder if he's scared of the dark at night like Violet and if anyone cares. Wonder if he's even brave enough to express need or emotion. Doubt that his emotional needs are being met. Breaks my heart to think how this lack of love will cripple him. I wonder if this dad has any friends or family that notice the way he treats his kids. Oh my, it was so obvious on this sweet boy's face how much it already has. I think these things over and they are heavy things. Sometimes, honestly, I just want to run and hide from them, to forget about them, to be free from the weight of these painful experiences.

For now I am praying. I don't know what else to do. Praying for the boy I saw a couple months back and for the boy I saw today. I won't forget them.

Do you know anyone that treats their kids in a way that is concerning? You don't even have to judge them, you can just reach out, be a friend, have them over, hear about their life, and love on them and their kids. I am guessing there is as much or more pain in the lives of the parents I've seen as there is in their kids' lives.

I'm praying for Hope.

Comments

Popular Posts