granola.

So the granola turned out just swell. Dru and I thought it was delicious. V didn't really partake...I can only imagine it's a texture thing because she likes everything in it otherwise. I bet in a few days she'll be downing it like the rest of us. :)

I haven't looked at many granola recipes. I think because what those I had checked out called for corn syrup and sugar by the cupfuls. I'm sure they taste wonderful but keeping it healthy was a priority for me. This recipe I found has a coconut oil and honey base, and lots of nuts and goodies that were attractive to me. I changed in enough from the original that I think I will type out my version here.

Combine in a large bowl:

4-5 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1/2-3/4 cup raw pecans, chopped
1/2-3/4 cup raw almonds, chopped
1/2-3/4 cup raw walnuts, chopped
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
3/4 cup ground flax seed
sea salt
4 T cinnamon

In a separate bowl whisk together:

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup honey
a splash of maple syrup (cause that makes everything happy)
1 T vanilla

Stir the oil mixture into the oat mixture. Spread into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Bake at 325 degrees for about an hour, stirring every 20 minutes.

Once cool, stir in 1 cup raisins and 1/2 cup dried cranberries.

Enjoy!

Comments

Nettester71 said…
I will have to try this recipe. I was going to make some granola and granola bars tomorrow and I have run into the same fun with the corn syrup. I like to use Agave nectar in mine as it is lower on the glycemic index (which is good for my diabetic husband) and I do not like the taste of honey at all. I can use it as long as it isn't overpowering.

thanks for sharing.
Jessica Rockey said…
Hey friend! Just tried the granola... happened to have all the ingredients at hand (love it when life is simple)... anyway, it's still cooling, but I snuck a taste... it's delicious!
Now I'm trying to figure out how to make it a bit more chunky... we'll see. Thanks for the recipe!
erin said…
Jessica, yeah definitely let me know if you have yummy ideas of what to add. Making it again today and this time I am barely going to chop the nuts so there's more texture. Oh, you could add coconut...I just happen not to like it. So glad you tried it!
Mindy said…
Ohh...I think I need to try this out!

Popular Posts