...or not.

I feel kind of stupid but I don't think anymore that what Violet has is the chicken pox. Ha, ha...man, oh man. The "spots" never came to be blisters or scabs as the chicken pox should. She was breaking out with more everyday for three days. But now they are going down and barely there. I'd really like to know what she has that is causing this outbreak. It's not some little rash in a small, concentrated area. These were very red, prominent bumps all over her stomach, chest, and a few on her arm pits, arms and hips. I called the doctor and talked to the nurse...she said maybe it's something she ate. Could something she ate do that?? She also said maybe her immune system fought off the chicken pox before they really came to be. Really? I have never heard of that.

People! Tell me what you think. I am stumped.





Violet and I needed a field trip today. We went about town and did some photographing. I think some of these (particularly the Longhorn Steer statues) would be beautiful in early morning light. So I may sneak away early Saturday morning to try some of these again.



Comments

Bethany said…
My kids get rashes a lot when they are fighting off infections. So it could be nothing really. When my kids get hives from food it looks different than the pic below. Plus it is usually on chest and face. Although I think my kids have had a similar rash to hers when they just had a little virus. You said she had some on her pits right? Seth gets that often and it itches like crazy looks like bumps then just goes away on its own.
Jordan Family said…
Hi Erin, both of my babies have very sensitive skin and they have had those break outs many times. There has not been one specific thing that has caused it. It has been food, detergent, body wash, fabric that irritated their skin etc. It always goes away in a couple of hours/days. I have learned not to worry about it too much unless it has other symptoms to go along with it such as fever, loss of appetite, etc. A warm oatmeal bath helps when it's bothering them so you may try that next time. - Amanda
Mimi said…
Did she have the chicken pox vaccine? My son still got the chicken pox, confirmed by our pediatrician but did the same thing to the extent that I doubted myself, but our doctor said the vaccine and/or his immune system could have caused a "lighter" case.
Wendy said…
Hi Erin! I read your chicken pox post and wish I could have exposed my own kids.

Just a couple of thoughts...I remember that the incubation period for them was about two weeks, so I wouldn't be surprised if she has had a light case like the dr. said. When Charlie and I were first married someone we had dinner with (can't remember who...) had chicken pox. Charlie hadn't had them as a child and got nervous cause they are worse as an adult. He got tested for immunity to them and had it. The dr said that he was probably exposed as a child, built immunity but never had the disease. Lucky for you maybe she just had a slight case...but enough for immunity. You could get her tested for it later after she is older if you really wanted to know for sure.
Beth said…
Hi Erin,
It could still be chicken pox. I wouldn't count it out too soon. At her age a light case is very possible, and would be a blessing. You can get her checked later to see if she has an immunity if you really want to know.
erin said…
Wow. Thank you all so much. You've really put me at ease. How cool that I can have her immunity checked! Never knew that. Thanks all!
Kate Thomas. said…
was she in a hot tub recently!
Michelle said…
Could be that "fifths disease"...it causes bumps like that I think. Try looking up online and see if she had any other of the symptoms. Once the spots appear you aren't contagious anymore. got to love that.
Just a thought.
erin said…
Katie! I am laughing. And puking!!
Anonymous said…
Grammy says if she didn't have a definite fever, runny nose, or super-duper crankiness, she didn't have the chickies. She should be exposed again before age 5 if you aren't intending to get the vaccine. The older you are, the worse the complcations can be, like pneumonia and infection.
~Grammy, MSed, MD, and BSr

Popular Posts