advent starts today.


I bought a small children's Advent devotional recently and we did our first reading today. Advent season is the time leading up to Christmas. The word "advent" comes from the Latin "advenio", which means, to come, arrive, or reach (which I learned in the little Advent devotional) thus, it is a time of anticipating the arrival of the long-awaited Savior. The Advent book I bought has a daily scripture reading and prayer along with an activity for each day. Simple, simple, simple. The illustrations are enough to keep Violet interested for the short moment it takes to go ever the day's page.

Today, she was hugging the book and saying "Awww, baaaaa!", because there were sheep on the next day's illustration.

I'd like to do more for Advent as she grows. I figure this is a good beginning for her age. She may not even remember any of this this year and that's totally okay. It's more about the practice. Our children learn what is significant to us by what we practice. I want to remember what Christmas is really about...to be anxious to celebrate the coming of my Savior and to understand how wonderful it is that He came. See, it's speaking to me, too. I am seeking to live more purposefully; to live in light of what matters most to me. And by centering our celebrations around that which is most important to us, I'm reminded of that purpose I've found in Christ.

So, this is just something I've been considering lately...but, I must say, lest someone think otherwise...I am unapologetically in love with everything Christmas. Oh yeah, I'm a big sucker for Christmas decor, lights, ornaments, gift buying and exchanging, tinsel, stockings, sweets, Christmas movies, and just that good ol' holiday spirit that's in the air! I just love Christmas. I think it's all just a fantastic way to add to the celebration.

Comments

Erin, would you mind sharing the name of the Advent book? It sounds great.
erin said…
Sure, it's called "The Story of Christmas"...just a little booklet. I couldn't find it on Amazon but there is a website on the back of the book: www.cph.com...maybe you can get one there? It's very basic. Geared toward pre K-early elementary ages, I'd guess.
Thank you!!! I thought that Sophie (6) and Luke (2) would love it.
Anonymous said…
Well said, Erin. Great reminder to all of us. Traditions, those purposeful pauses to celebrate something meaningful, seem to go unappreciated in the moment, but in the end they have such lasting significance. And what could be more meaningful than the coming of our Saviour?
Michelle said…
We have that same book and love it! It is so simple and basic for their little minds. I sadly did not pull it out today...sort of already behind due to being out of town for Turkey day...

Popular Posts