on eating gluten-free.

I've said here before that I eat gluten free. I am gluten-intolerant. I get asked questions about this often and often I'm the one asking the questions myself. I know of at least 5 or 6 friends reading this who eat gluten free too. And almost everyone I mention my gluten intolerance to knows someone else who is gluten-free. Did you know 1 in 4 women is gluten intolerant? Most don't even know it. My life has changed big time since I changed my diet. I thought I'd bring this part of my life to the blog. Hopefully, I can encourage those who are trying to eat the same way by sharing my story and recipes, etc. I'm not the expert...I'm learning, k?

What is gluten?? Gluten exists inside of wheat and a couple other grains. It's actually the protein of the grain. Because gluten is sticky (Latin for glue!) it's also used in many things that don't make you think "wheat" at all. It's in processed foods. Evil, evil, processed foods. You know, things that come in packages. It's in ice cream (most, anyway). The gluten is part of what makes it all gooey and yum. It makes bagels so soft and chewy. Sometimes, because it's a protein, it's also added to foods that otherwise would be low in protein.

Why are people allergic? Hmmm, I'm sure I've read the answer to this before...but I can't remember the entire answer. Wheat, and thus the gluten inside, are tops on any list of common food allergens; up there with peanuts, milk, soy. In my case I may have become allergic due to over exposure. Yes. You can develop allergies to foods you have too much of. For many of us the only grain we are eating is wheat. Wheat, wheat, wheat and maybe a morsel of rice here or there. And as fore mentioned, wheat is so often in other foods that we aren't even aware when we are eating it. Now I know why they talk about a balanced diet. But who knew I'd like millet, sorghum, and steel cut oats so much?

How did I discover I was allergic? The short answer is I had symptoms, I had a blood test, and voila! I found out I had allergies. Here is the longer answer...

I came to this life-changing discovery thanks to a dazed man driving an old Corolla down Main Street almost 2 years ago. He rear-ended me. My neck began to hurt immediately and a friend Dru and I were having dinner with later that week referred me to his chiropractor. Perf! I showed up for my appointment and quickly learned this chiropractor was concerned with more than my neck. She was interested in my total health. She was wonderful...I've never received such amazing care. My first appointment with her was 2 hours long. She wanted to know everything about me. She very much wanted to see me relieved of other ailments that I in no way would have expected her to treat; things like the migraines I was having regularly, fatigue, and the fact that I hadn't been able to get pregnant. I used to think it was normal to go to bed feeling full, bloated, and crampy...ugh. She was certain these things were not normal. She would always say, "We're gonna get you pregnant". I thought that rather bold. And not very nice to get a girl's hopes up.

I learned through my visits with her what preventative care really means. I learned how significant diet is to our everyday health and well-feeling. When I consider how healthy I feel now and the baby I have I'm deeply grateful that I came to know all she taught me.

She eventually sent some of my blood off to a lab for food allergy testing where I found out I was a little allergic to many things and alot allergic to gluten.

Thus, my life began to change.

I quit eating gluten.

I lost 13 pounds that I didn't even lose when I was dieting and exercising 2 hours a day before my wedding.

I never had a migraine again.

Upon getting out of bed each morning I didn't feel like someone had strapped twice my weight in lead to my limbs.

My tummy didn't feel yucky.

Six weeks later I was pregnant...after 2 years, 9 months of trying.


Of course many of the symptoms are different. And the results too. And I guess I better say what I'm NOT saying. You may get migraines but I'm not saying that means you shouldn't eat gluten. Maybe you just need a new pillow. And for sure gluten isn't the cause of infertility. I don't even know for sure that it caused me to be infertile. So please, don't think I'm saying everyone needs to eat gluten free. I'm simply sharing what I've learned and what's helped me. Maybe things are similar for you, but probably not.

What do I eat?? The most delicious food ever! Whole food. Ingredients that look the way they looked when God first created them. I cook more, and I love it. I eat from ALL food groups. Really there is so much I can eat and I don't even crave bagels at all. I know exactly what I'll feel like after, and I don't like that feeling. I think I will save what I do eat for it's own post. I'd get too excited and go on and on.

Well, this brings me the the end of this post but the beginning of a whole new discussion I hope to share here more in the future. Thanks for listening while I document my journey. I hope this and future posts on the subject will encourage those who are on this road with me.

Comments

It's Whimsy said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said…
Very interesting, thanks for sharing Erin. I too love steel cut oats. I eat them every morning for breakfast. Mmmm.
Someone just recommended that I read the book Gluten Free Girl. I don't eat Gluten-Free but I'm interested in learning more.
Nettester71 said…
Erin,

That was very interesting and I look forward to seeing some of your favorite recipes or recipe books.
Diane said…
"Gluten Free Girl" is a great read even for those who don't eat gluten free. She writes well and makes you want to learn more about food and new ways of cooking, she loves food in a good way. It felt like a novel as I read it and it encouraged me to push through the difficulty of going gluten free. How are you using millet, that is my next try. The sorghum pizza took some getting used to, but I will make it again, maybe with more toppings.
Katherine M. said…
I have allergies, and my doctor told me a few years ago that allergies are actually your immune system in overdrive. Thanks for your post, Erin. I want to find out more and am looking forward to your recipes.
abbey said…
This is very interesting Erin. Post more soon!
Jennifer said…
Erin,
Thanks for sharing. I am always interested in people's allergies and how it affected their life when they changed their diet. I'm studying a program with the Global College of Natural Medicine on being a Nutritional Consultant. Most people don't understand preventative medicine. It's amazing how food has the ability to help or hurt you and even heal you. God is so amazing that way. I can't wait to hear more and am looking into checking out Gluten-Free Girl.

Hugs to you.
Jennifer
Hey Erin, I loved this post too! I would be interested to know what you eat for breakfasts, lunches & dinners. I can't wait until you do another post. Thanks again!
Judy said…
Very interesting post Erin. Thanks for all the info. You should post some recipes. I guess I'll just have to check this gluten-free girl stuff out. :)
Les said…
My mom was recently diagnosed with celiac disease- so she has to eat gluten free. She described it to me as: if she does ingest wheat, if furthers a bad process in her intestines which would eventually turn to cancer. When you post recipes I am looking forward to sending them to her! Les (don't know you, but know some who do... and enjoy your blog!)
Wendy said…
Hi Erin
Great explanation of everything. We have one child gluten free and I am suspicious of myself...but having a hard time shifting over.

So basically from what I can understand, the gluten causes an autoimmune response that attacks the villi in the small intestines causing them to flatten (celiac). This causes malabsorption of all the necessary vitamins and minerals which in turn causes everything else other places in the body. And like you said everyone expresses differently if at all.

So, I totally second Diane's description of the book, Gluten free Girl! Another good explanation book and has some recipes too is called The Gluten Connection. I forget who it is by but it was a good source too.

Hey that baby is so cute you have! You are doing a great job too!

Thanks for letting me spout on your blog. I love catching up every once in a while.
erin said…
Hi Wendy, thanks for your comments. I've heard that as well. Can't wait to read the book!
Rachel said…
Hey Erin,

I'm thinking of taking Jeremy off gluten for a couple of weeks to see if it helps some health problems he has been having... and I thought I remembered a post you wrote about going gluten free. Well, I found it... :) Any suggestions on how to do this or resources for gluten free recipes?

Thanks! :)
Rachel

Popular Posts