Great is Thy Faithfulness...My First Mother's Day



Today was my first Mother's Day! I love my little Violet!

I'm no Bible scholar, or spiritual guru, but I was really encouraged at church today so I thought I'd talk a bit about it. I don't really don't have great words to say or ways of saying them but here's what God's showing me....

Upon receiving my bulletin I was pleased to find that the title of the pastor's message for the day was "Giving Mom a Rest." I thought, "Oh good, he's gonna tell the husbands they really should help their wives out today and give them a break from all the work they do...hopefully Dru will get motivated and do some housework for me when we get home"...shallow, I know. I missed most all of the message becuase I was with the kiddo...but at the very beginning (the part I did hear) our pastor read the passage from Matthew 11 that says:

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Hmmm, that was really good for me to hear. He is the real rest I need. And it's so true...I find in Him the true source of my rest, peace and comfort. I'm not sure what the main points were of the message or what our pastor chose to say about these verses. But just hearing the Word really encouraged me. I find such peace every time I hear these verses. Just wanted to share that and maybe it will encourage someone else to come to Him and receive rest for their weary soul.

We also sang the song "Great is Thy Faithfulness". I want to praise God for His faithfulness. Whether we see acts of his faithfulness in our lives currently or not doesn't change the truth...He IS faithful- ALWAYS. There was a time in my life where I didn't believe God was faithful or loving. I couldn't see it so I didn't believe it. I just encourage anyone who doesn't believe that God is faithful because they can't see His good in their lives right now, to believe His promises...He will show Himself faithful in His time. He is loving and He is faithful. I've heard the words to this song so many other times...but hearing/reading them again freshly reminds me that:

Great is thy faithfulness, Oh God my father
There is no shadow of turning with thee
Thou changest not Thy compassions they fail not
As thou hast been Thou forever will be

Summer and Winter
Springtime and harvest
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
Join in all nature in manifold witness
To thy great faithfulness
Mercy and love

Great is Thy faithfulness
Great is Thy faithfulness
Morning by morning new mercies I see
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided
Great is Thy faithfulness
Lord unto me

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
Thy own dear presence to cheer and to guide
Your strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow
Blessings all mine with ten thousand aside

Happy Mother's Day, Mamas!

Comments

Emmie said…
Happy First Mother's Day!
Judy said…
Happy First Mother's Day!!!! I'm glad to hear you were encouraged. Thank you for BEING so encouraging. :) You really are. Thanks!
Anonymous said…
You are such a treasure Erin! Dru and Violet both will have such rich emotional lives because of the blessing of your presence. Happy Anniversary and Happy Mothers Day.

XOXO

Aunt Mary
Jennifer said…
Thanks for your encouraging insights. It's refreshing to be reminded that our rest comes from Him. It's easy to think, "yeah, come on guys. Pitch in. So we can rest." But the truth is it's in Christ alone that we get rest. It's not being given a break but giving Christ our burdens and taking His yoke that we can get true rest.

Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

Love, JL
Jenn said…
Happy Mother's Day to you Erin!
Anonymous said…
Happy First Mom's Day, Erin. I can't believe you're a mom! How wonderful. I love your thoughts/notes from Sunday's message - God is faithful because His very character is faithful. Thank you for encouraging me today - I really needed it.

Love you,
Kay
Anonymous said…
He is faithful, and thank you for your encouragement. I am so glad we are mommys in this together. love, grace

Popular Posts