Green Cleaning


So I'm thinking more about going more "green" in my household chores lately. Did anyone see Oprah today? It was all about "going green" and making changes for healthier lives and a healthier planet. It was very interesting and motivating, and I've been thinking alot already about some of my unhealthy cleaning habits and how I'd really like to make changes.

Okay, first big change I've made (can't believe I haven't mentioned this on my blog yet!)...I have a Dyson vacuum. I LOVE this thing. I bought it after someone hit my car and after paying for the repairs gave me some cash for my inconvenience. I knew exactly what I would buy with it. Okay...our old vacuum #1: smelled like burnt dog hair, weird I know, but it really did. #2: had so little power it didn't even leave those vacuum streaks in the carpet. And my carpet is long, soft, cut burber, so that's difficult for a vacuum NOT to do. #3: Because it wasn't sucking anything I never had to change the bag...oh that's bad...I should have tossed it long before I did. I'm not exaggerating, it just got to a point were the bag never filled anymore. So I guess everything was just being blown back into the air? I only vacuumed to make myself feel better. It also was loud and heavy.

The Dyson is my angel. This thing SUCKS. I can honestly say I love vacuuming. It just picks up so much that it's such a satisfying feeling. All the air goes through a filter that's HEPA approved...that means it's got the highest level of filtration available for expelled air. It's really good for allergy sufferers- both Dru and I. I like to know that clean air is coming out, not smelly air. The center bin (where all the dirt collects) snaps right out and I just empty the dirt right into the trash every time I vacuum. The Dyson also works on hard surfaces which I have alot of in my house and has great features and easy-to-use tools for hard to reach spots. It's very easy to use and not very loud. Dyson's are slightly more expensive than the average vacuum out there but one of those things that I think is just sooo worth every penny.

Something else I'm thinking about is the cleaners I use. They all give me headaches. I know they're supposedly really bad but I guess I keep using them for the convenience. I've switched to Method cleaners for my all-purpose cleaner, shower cleaner, and window cleaner. I like that they are non-toxic, however, they still are sooo purfume-y that they give me the same headaches. My mom buys Shaklee Basic H- and they talked about these products on Oprah today. I guess it has no smell (or very mild) and what they say is "clean shouldn't have a smell". Which makes sense...anything we smell in cleaners (think Comet, Pine Sol) is either a chemical or is an artificial scent; things we shouldn't be breathing in. Anyway, the Shaklee stuff is very inexpensive so I don't even have to spend more to be healthier...a big plus. It comes in a very concentrated form and you just add a very small amount to a spray bottle of water and viola! you can clean everything with the same cleaner. Literally. Bathrooms, kitchen, glass, all floors, even your skin (when we were kids my mom would give us a Basic H bath...cleaned the kids and the tub safely!) and I know they have a laundry detergent but I got the impression you could use the Basic H product in the washing machine too if you wanted...they say EVERYTHING. What I mostly like about the Shaklee Basic H though it that, like Method, it's made from non-toxic ingredients. So I think I'm going to be ordering some of that very soon.



Since we moved into our house I've become a faithful recycler. In our apartment in California we weren't given any kind of recycle bin or anything. If I wanted to recycle I'm not sure how I would have done it but I guess I would have had to drive the recycleables to a recycle center or something. Okay, but when the city gives you a huge recycling can how can you NOT recycle? It's just too easy. And it saves so much room in the trash can. I'd like to get a small bin for inside the house though to make it a little easier...sometimes I don't feel like walking out to the garage to toss something in the recycle can when my inside trash can is within arms reach.

As a way of saving energy we've also started unplugging our cell phone chargers when not in use and keeping media players off, not standby. If they're on standby they're using electricity. And everything that's plugged in is still using 40% of the energy used while on or charging or whatever.

So those are some things I'm doing and some changes I'd like to make. I'm really interested to hear what you do and what ideas you have...especially if they save time and money too, but mostly if they're healthier!! I'm all ears!

Comments

Bethany said…
Hey I am a big SHAKLEE girl. NO I DON'T SELL IT. HEE HEE. I grew up on it too. I bathe my kids in it...use it in my garden, clean windows, tubs etc etc. They have basic H biodegradable wipes now too but I just use the main concentrate. Can I say too when you have your baby Shaklee's line of baby shampoo and creamy baby oil is a must. Got rid of Jude's cradle cap and skin problems in about two days and it never came back. Their vitamins are great too. I need to try their laundry...I am ashamed that I use bleach on my white load my mom tells me I need to try Shaklee's laundry stuff instead. So I do need to do that because bleach is one of the worst things out there.

I know there is so much more I could be doing. I do recycle...I am a big recycle nazi around here. I really freak when people throw stuff in the trash that can be recycled. HEE HEE.

I try to be as natural as possible in my garden too (with the exception that I do water...like English style and not going with a bunch of succulents) But I only fertilize with organic products. I have made Aaron go shovel horse poo to put in the yard instead of buying compost. I want to buy and or build a compost maker and do that for my yard. I don't use pesticides in fact we just released two jugs of lady bugs the other night to naturally control our aphid population (basic H diluted works on those aphids too)

My SIL does cloth diapers...okay I really want to be good but I CAN'T handle poo that way. And I know there is a toss up as to which is better for the environment in terms of water and detergent used to clean them....although I am positive that the cloth are better for the baby in terms of natural versus plastics being near their skin. I just can't deal with all the poopie mess I gag too easily. HEE HEE

We do the ugly energy light bulbs in all our bedrooms...I like pretty light in my living room.

Bought all of our appliances in terms of energy consumption and even got a lot of rebates back from the power co.

I don't buy bottled water in those plastic things. We have a filter on our house water and I use Sigg water bottles when we travel...there is a link to them on my friday favorties. The water tastes so much better in these bottles and you are not throwing them out.

Can't wait to read others ideas. I have that Oprah TiVoed I gotta run and watch it.
Callie said…
Hey, let me know when you order the Basic H. I want some too! I think I'm gonna try the lightbulb thing and unplugging unused electronic stuff. We'll see if I save any $ on my electric bill...that would be sweet!
erin said…
Bethany- I don't think I could ever do the cloth diaper thing either!! The line must be drawn somewhere! But you have lots of great ideas. That's awesome to hear how much you love the Basic H...I can't wait to start using it. Thanks for sharing all your ideas!

Callie...yes, I want to get some of those light blubs too...maybe just one or 2 to try. Just tell Marie C that you want to order Basic H too...I told her today and she said she'd add it to her next (May) order.
Diane said…
Callie and Erin,

I have some Basic H I am willing to share for the right price! (Well, if it is for Violet's tubby time, then it's free!)

XOXOX,
Mom :)
erin said…
Thanks Mom. Are you liking using Basic H again? You'll have to tell me everything you use it on...Marie says there's over 200 uses! I'll probably just keep my order with her since it sounds like I'll be using it quite often.
anne said…
Hi Erin, found you through a comment on Bethany's blog. Perhaps you have had your baby girl? :)
Congratulations, and welcome to parenthood. Crazy times but SO worth it.
Fun post! I am going to get some of that basic H!
Anyway, nice to meet you!
Judy said…
Hey Erin. I saw that Oprah show too... I felt pretty bad about my cleaning products. I knew about the Seventh Generation stuff but thought it would be too expensive... I'll have to check into the Shaklee stuff. Do you get it online?

We don't buy bottled water. We just use Nalgene bottles, or whatever we have here at home. Buying bottled water is expensive... I figured all people would just drink their own dang water. :)

We recycle too. It's silly though, you have to pay & they only come every two weeks. You'd think it would be free, especially out here in Granola Land.

Anyway, I thought that show was really interesting & motivating too. I loved how they kept saying, "Clean doesn't have a smell". I kept pondering that the rest of the afternoon.
erin said…
Hi Anne, nice to meet you too. I'll have to go check out your site now :).

Judy, yeah, you can by Shaklee directly online I'm pretty sure...and they're having a 30% off sale right now. I can't BELIEVE they make you PAY to recycle! That's crazy!
Jenn said…
Erin,

You probably don't remember me, but I remember meeting you on the e-team from VA Beach (with the singles). Anyway ...excited about your baby (congrats!) and thanks for the post. This is helpful!
Jenn :)
erin said…
Hey Jenn! I do remember you! Thanks for saying hi!!! Isn't it fun connecting with people?

Popular Posts