Hip Braces Aren't Hip, ya'll

Happy St. Patty's Day friends!

Some of you already know that Violet has a good chance of being born with hip dysplasia. This is a genetic thing that Dru was born with where the hips are slightly out of place. All babies are routinely checked for this before leaving the hospital and infants with hip dysplasia are put in leg braces for the first 6 weeks of their little lives! From what we've read and discussed with the pediatrician, because Dru had this, because Violet is our firstborn, and because she is a girl, she is at especially high risk.

God's been so good to give us (as far as we can tell) a very healthy baby so far. I'm aware that many mothers are told their baby will be born with much worse, more life-altering and life-threatening defects and illnesses. We have so much to be grateful for! If Violet does have to wear the braces we'll just be happy it's only a 6 week deal and obviously still love and enjoy our baby girl!

But I'd still like to ask you for prayer. If you think about it, will you just pray that God will heal her little hips now so that there's no evidence of the hip dysplasia once she's born. It would be a small, temporary inconvenience to us and Violet yet I know God cares about the small things and I've seen Him answer requests I make even when I would think it's not a big enough miracle for Him. I think He just likes to show me how much he really does care about my life and my worries.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for praying for Violet! I'm five weeks (hopefully less!) away from having my bambino!! Hoot, hoot!

Comments

Janelle Shank said…
Erin, what a wonderful example you and Dru are of faith and trusting the Lord! I will be praying for you both and for little Violet...(can't believe it's only 5 more weeks till she's here!)
erin said…
Thanks Janelle for your comment and prayers! I love when my readers come out of the woodwork...it's fun!
Anonymous said…
Erin, thanks for sharing this prayer request. I'll be praying for you guys and your dear baby!

Love -Katy Van
erin said…
Hi Katy, thanks for your prayers. It's good to hear from you!
Anonymous said…
I'll definitely be praying, my dear friend! May God give you and Dru peace and joy in these last few weeks. - Sharon
erin said…
What's up Sharone? Thank you! It's so easy to get ahead of myself and to become worried and anxious about tomorrow...not just about the hip thing but just wnating the baby to be born NOW! I definitely want peace and to totally enjoy these days. I'm so amazed I'm gonna have a baby!
Mindy said…
I'll be praying, Erin! Oh, Meg has a gift for you and Violet--ask her about it.
erin said…
Mmm, I'll definitely be checking in with Meghan :). Thanks Melinda!! How's the wedding planning coming? Shoot me an email if you feel like it. I'd love to hear more about the details!
Callie said…
You spelled your own sister's name wrong. MEGAN. Tsk tsk. And don't worry, Violet is going to be the cutest baby ever even if she has to wear braces.
meg said…
if you're going to spell my name wrong, please spell it Meaghan. that's a cool way and i always liked it. but otherwise, please spell it correctly from now on. it's confusing enough that people mix us up as it is, so lets keep our names straight, ok? and yes, violet will be cute no matter what. can't be any worse than that morphed picture you guys did at D&B, right?
erin said…
Oops, can't believe I did that. But thanks for giving me the "Meaghan" option. The more options I have the more likely I am to spell my sister's name correctly.

And what? you don't think the morph picture is cute? I doubt Violet could possibly come out as gorgeous but if she does she will have pleased me exceedingly. I meant to put that pic on the bulletin board at Dru's party!...gosh, getting pretty forgetful all around lately.
Mindy said…
Megan, your second name-spelling option is the same way Little Meaghan spelled her name...so many things you seem to have in common. Oh, and I agree that Violet will be the cutest baby ever...do you think she'll have curly hair like Dru? That'd be cool! ;-)
Diane said…
Just think in a few weeks it will be Aunt Callie, Aunt Megan, Aunt Mindy, Uncle Tyler and Uncle Tim!!! Boy you all sound old!
Anonymous said…
Old Schmold..you don't know old Annie! Wait til you are gramma, then you'll know old! Erin, be at peace and know that everything is as it should be. We'll say a prayer for our Little Violet.

Love ,

Aunt Mary
erin said…
Way to put it to her, Aunt Mare ;). Thanks for the prayers. I heard Florida was great...maybe we can try to come next year! I'm keeping my hopes up!
Anonymous said…
Uh oh Rae-rae, I got in such trouble over that and now she calls me the sister who dissed her. I did get some great pics of Florida due to my comfort level with bribery, so I now RETRACT my previous statement and announce that Annie is old and she knows it.

I am so glad you went to the botanical gardens, what a beautiful memory to imprint on your heart.

Hope the home stretch goes well, you certainly are the prettiest pregnant woman I have ever seen. Can't wait for Violets arrival!

xoxox

Aunt Mare
erin said…
Thanks Aunt Mare! Were you really up posting that at 4 am???
Anonymous said…
Oh darn...Busted!

xoxo

Popular Posts